Currently in the state Dr. Mumbai. Homi Bhabha State University and HSNC, as well as Karmaveer Bhaurao Patil University in Satara are the three group universities operating. Based on the experience of these three universities, the government has now issued guidelines for discussions to pave the way for the establishment of a group university through the amalgamation of other reputed and quality imparting colleges in the state.
Loosen the bonds
According to these guidelines, colleges within a distance of 25 km will now be able to establish a group university. The government has relaxed the restriction of distance. Earlier, as per National Higher Education Mission (RUSA), it was mandatory to have other colleges within 15 km from the main college to establish a group university. Now, by relaxing this restriction, other colleges in rural areas will also be able to establish group universities. Also consideration will be given for setting up group universities in institutions with a distance of more than 25 km.
A group university can be formed by combining colleges run by the same management or by different managements. Also, minimum two and maximum five colleges will be able to participate in the group university. If a group university is to be established with more than that number of colleges, the state government will consider each proposal accordingly.
Criteria for setting up a Group University
– The principal college of the group university should be 20 years old.
– There should be at least two thousand students studying in major colleges. All the colleges included in the cluster should be studying at least four thousand students.
– The total construction area of the participating colleges should be 15 thousand square meters.
– Two hectares of land or a construction area of 15 thousand square meters is required for colleges in Mumbai metropolis.
– Four hectare area for Pune, Nagpur, Aurangabad, Nashik cities, while six hectare area is required for other parts.
– A major college NAC rating of 3.25 or NBA equivalent score or 60% of courses evaluated by NBA.
– At least two research centers must be approved by the university.