Major Causes of Accidents:
– Sudden braking is difficult for heavy vehicles due to steep slopes
– As there are no service roads in some places, local drivers have to travel on national highways.
– Heavy vehicle drivers lose control of the vehicle as they ‘neutralize’ the vehicle on downhill slopes to save fuel.
What measures can prevent accidents?
– Reduction of gradients on national highways.
– Need to complete service roads between Navale Bridge and Vadgaon Bridge which are in partial condition
– It is necessary to construct a service road between Warje Bridge and Vadgaon Bridge.
– To make appropriate arrangements for all local transport services to be by road.
Frequent accident distance 4 km (Katraj New Tunnel to Vadgaon Bridge), deaths and injuries from 2014-2022
Total deaths – 65
Injured – 145
Damage to vehicles – 100
Meanwhile, two-way encroachment on the service road and unruly drivers are mainly responsible for the accidents. Sidewalks, shops, parking and a large number of hoardings have also been erected on both sides of the service road. As there are many puncture shops on the highway, many motorists are coming and going in the opposite direction. Accidents are also increasing due to this.
MP Supriya Sule has also expressed concern over these accidents and has demanded permanent measures to be taken. ‘In 2021, I had presented a position regarding this new bridge in the Lok Sabha. Then Union Minister Nitin Gadkari took notice and changed the National Highway from 18 to 20. Importantly, they have not done the service road that Pune Municipal Corporation should do at this place. It has also been requested to the National Highway that it is necessary to study the technical aspects of the places which are steep and where accidents are happening regularly. Sule has said that Union Minister Nitin Gadkari will be met and requested to make this road a zero accident road.